HELLENIC PETROLEUM RENEWABLE ENERGY SOURCES S.A. (HELPE Renewables) was founded in 2006 and is a fully owned subsidiary. The company’s object of business is the production and trading of energy products produced by renewable energy sources
HELPE Renewables plans to develop significant wind, photovoltaic, and biomass capacity in the next few years, diversifying the Group’s energy portfolio and contributing to balancing its greenhouse gas emissions. Specifically, the company’s target is 600 MW of RES in operation in 2025 and 2,000 MW in 2030.
Currently, the stations in operation are:
- 7 P/V stations located on property owned by the Group with a total nominal capacity of 19 MW.
- A wind farm with a capacity of 7 MW in Pylos in Messinia
- 17 PV with net-metering systems totaling approximately 270 KW, installed at EKO and BP fuel stations
The construction of the PV of 204MW capacity in the area of Kozani, N. Greece, is in progress during this period, which is one of the largest RES projects in Greece and among the largest PVs in Europe. The project is being constructed by the German RES developer and contractor JUWI and is expected to be set in operation within the 1st semester of 2022. It is expected to generate 350 GWh annually, sufficient to power 75,000 homes with zero-emission energy, with a CO2 emission avoidance of around 300,000 tons p.a.
The total investment will amount to €130m, with a significant benefit for the economy, particularly in the area of Western Macedonia (N. Greece), as over 300 jobs will be created during the construction phase and also dozens of direct and indirect jobs during operation, most of which will be filled from the local community.
The following projects are in various stages of development:
- 3 P/V projects with a capacity of 18,8 MW, on property owned by the Group (Elefsina, Thessaloniki)
- 1 biomass power and heat generation unit (using agricultural residues as a source of energy) with a capacity of 4.7 MW at Soufli (Evros prefecture)
- Portfolio of 628 MW PV and 219 MW wind projects with production license
- Portfolio of 208 MW PV projects at the level of producer certification applications, the evaluation of which is expected from RAE
- Storage systems (using batteries) with a total capacity of 300MW and a capacity of 650MWh
At the same time, HELPE Renewables is assessing acquisitions of wind and photovoltaic projects under development or in operation.
HELPE Renewables follows the Safety and Environment procedures adopted by the Group with regard to compliance, reporting, risk and accidents prevention, and management, both during the construction phase as well as operation. An S&E engineer is appointed for each new project, entrusted with monitoring the relevant issues, supervising works, and the S&E licensing stage, as well as the validity term and the renewal of licenses.
For more information: